Tyneside Kidney Patients Association
Supporting the lives of kidney patients on Tyneside
The Tyneside Kidney Patients Association is proud to support patients and their families when they need us most. We help improve the lives of those with kidney disease by offering them expert information and support during their times of need.
As a registered charity and having been there ourselves, we understand that dealing with kidney disease can be distressing, but you don't have to go it alone. We can support you during treatment and will give you the platform to come to terms with the illness. The Tyneside Kidney Patients Association will also help you understand your benefit entitlements and hosts regular meetings and events throughout the year.
What We Do
If you're undergoing treatment at the Renal Unit at the Freeman Hospital or have children being cared for at the Paediatric Renal Unit at the RVI, we're here to help.
We support patients in a variety of ways.
Here are just a few ways we help improve the lives of kidney patients on Tyneside...
- We host general meetings throughout the year and invite specialist speakers to help people understand the ins and outs of kidney disease and the support that's available to patients. We have a three-year programme of renal topics.
- We organise fun events as well as day trips for patients and often venture out to some of England's cultural hot spots and places of beauty. In recent times, we've been to Lake Windermere in the Lake District and have braved the rides at the Flamingo Land Theme Park in North Yorkshire.
- Social evenings in conjunction with Newcastle Transplant Games Team. This has included ten pin bowling and the doctors v patients annual cricket match!
- We also present and organise many other social events throughout the year including our annual Christmas Dinner and an Easy Walking Club.
- We have regular Committee meetings where members of the Association are invited to attend to improve the association and make our charity even better.
But That's Not All...
We produce a regular newsletter that provides up to date and topical information to keep you connected and reliably informed. Our news dispatch includes details of our programme and all of the kidney related news you'll need to make life that little bit easier.
We also supply medical alert wristbands to protect patients with a vulnerable fistula or who have had a transplant.